Sunday, October 14, 2012

The 3 C's and Me

Consume. Create. Connect.

I'm mostly writing them here on my blog so that I can remember the 3 C's a little bit better. Also so that I can try to understand them better. We do have a midterm coming up.

I'm awfully good at consuming. I am what you would call the typical consumer. I download music from iTunes onto my iPod. I get my textbooks and DVDs from Amazon. I spend a lot of time on Facebook. I check my email regularly throughout the day. It takes me a month to fill up my phone's inbox with texts. I watch TV on Friday nights and Saturday mornings if I'm not doing anything else. I listen to the radio in my car about half the time I'm driving. I am really quite average. There is not a whole lot about me that is beyond average.

So yes, I'm super good at consuming but this makes creating and connecting particularly difficult. However, my group's project to create an online source for creative content does force me to expand what I'm familiar with.

Still I have a nagging voice in the back of my head that says that it doesn't really matter what I do in the digital world because it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference. Yes, technology is fantastic and allows us to do things faster and with a bigger group of people, but ultimately I feel like I'm doing the same things with technology that I do in real life. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, because it really isn't. I just have yet to find my niche in this digital world. Or in the real world. Until then I will consume, I will try to create, and I will attempt to connect in a way that I hope would be meaningful. And who knows where that will lead me.

No comments:

Post a Comment